UNSOM Prospective Applicants: Degree Programs: BS-MD
BS-MD Accelerated Early Admission Program
This program offers a seven year accelerated pathway to medical school for a small number of motivated, mature high school seniors who are serious and focused on a career in medicine. Students accepted into this program will complete the first three years of the required undergraduate curriculum at the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) or the University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV), then enter the University of Nevada School of Medicine.
How Are Students Selected?
Students must meet the following criteria:
- Combined Math/Verbal score of 1270 or greater on the SAT, or combined ACT score of 29 or greater;
- Placement in the top 10% of their graduating high school class, or an un-weighted GPA of 3.7;
- US Citizenship or permanent resident of the US AND Nevada residency; Non-US citizens must have a permanent resident visa AND Nevada residency;
- Attend a Nevada high school for a minimum of two years AND graduate from a Nevada high school;
- Applied for admission to UNLV or UNR as a freshman by February 25
- Healthcare experience (hospital volunteerism, physician shadowing, etc).
Other Criteria To Be Evaluated Include:
- Extracurricular Activities (ex. athletics, music, clubs, community service, etc.)
- Demonstrated Leadership and Maturity (ex. community, school, or other activities)
- Healthcare Experiences
- Work Experience
The BS-MD Admissions Committee will select students from applicants who apply using the supplemental application process. At the time of admission to the BS-MD program, students receive a provisional acceptance to the University of Nevada School of Medicine. All students are required to successfully complete all the undergraduate requirements.
How Many Students Will Be Selected?
A maximum of 6 students per partner campus will be accepted for the program annually. Selected applicants will be interviewed. Interviews will be available in Reno and Las Vegas.
Important Information for UNR Applicants
Curriculum at UNR for BS-MD students is designed to prepare students for medical school and the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). The MCAT will be a completely redesigned test beginning in January 2015. UNR BS-MD students will need to take certain courses during the summer and/or prior to beginnig their freshman year in order to complete all content needed for the MCAT. Complete information is available on the Resources and Information for UNR Students web page.
How Do I Apply?
The BS-MD Supplemental Application will be available December 15, 2013 thru February 25, 2014. All application material must be received by the closing date for consideration.
Selection Process Timeline
- Application: Applicants can apply Dec. 15 - February 25
- Interviews: Interviews will scheduled February 6 through March 30
- Selection Committee: The Committee will meet the first week of April
- Student Nofication: All students selection decisions will be sent out April 15.
- Deadline for Acceptance: All students who are selected for the program, must accept their space in writing no later than April 30.
The application will be available beginning December 15.
More About the Program
Questions/Updated Information e-mail email@example.com